We eat with eyes, “preferring snow white bread, a real starvation food, robbed by refined milling of all mineral salts”. From Mucusless Diet Healing System by A. Ehret
What is flour? Flour is a powder made from grain. According to Dr. Joan Ifland, an innovator in the field of recovery from food addiction since 1999, the fraction of small tiny particles of flour absorbs in small intestine, in much bigger scale that it is supposed to be by eating whole grains, and therefore, lead to unendurable craving to continue eating this kind of food. According to study of Hovey et al in 2003, colon function improves be eating whole grain instead of milled grains (flour) and may reduce the risk of colon cancer. Putting together these statements, both refined cereal and its milled fraction do not contribute to the health of gut and overall well-feeling.
The solution is just here, we are making bread from whole grains of wheat which have never been milled to flour!
- whole-grain wheat seeds, 500 g
- purified water
- pitted dates
- cinnamon, milled, 1 Tbsp
- ginger, dried and milled, 1 tsp
- cardamon, milled, 1 tsp
- staghorn sumac, 1 tsp
- saffron, 0.5 tsp
- tonka bean, milled, 0.5 tsp
- vanilla, milled, 0.5 tsp
- nutmeg, milled, 0.5 tsp
How to make it:
- Wash and soak the grains overnight in sufficient amount of water (1.5 liter)
- Wash the grains again, drain and put under the wet cotton cloth (no excess water, just wet) on a counter for 8-12-16 hours. Rinse the grains and cloth 1-2 times during the germination, until tiny (2-3 mm in length) sprouts of the grains are seen. The time depends on the germination speed and could differ for different sets of grains.
- Tiny 2-3 mm sprouts of the grains should appear. By germination process, the amount of phytates – type of plant enzymes which are largely anti-nutrients – decreases. So, soaking can improve nutrient value of grains.
- Mince the soft germinated grains with 3 pitted dates using mincer screen of middle size (4 mm in diameter)
- Mince the minced grains once again for better final texture
- Mix well minced grains, species and 100 ml of purified water by using wooden spoon. It took at list 5 minutes to do it manually
- Rinse a scoop and hands in cold water time to time while forming tiny breads
- Use ice-cream scoop to measure the size of each tiny bread (or weight it on a balance, 30-35 g each)
- Put half or one pitted date in the middle of each tiny-bread while forming its shape
- Place tiny breads on a backing sheet and make some holes in it with a fork
- Preheat an oven for 5-10 min and bake the tiny breads for 1 hour 5 min at 130 °C in a convection oven. Than reduce temperature till 100 °C and bake 30 min more
The recipe contains gluten (wheat grains) and coumarins (tonka bean). If you are allergic to gluten or any other ingredient – this recipe is probably not for you; if you are allergic to coumarins – just skip it.
- Mucusless Diet Healing System by Dr. A. Ehret, 2013
- Sugars and Flours: How They Make Us Crazy, Sick, and Fat and What to Do about It by Dr. Joan Ifland, 2000
- Whole cereal and legume seeds increase faecal short chain fatty acids compared to ground seeds by Hovey AL, Jones GP, Devereux HM and Walker KZ, 2003
- All About Whole Grains, The Difference Between Phytates & Phytic Acid, & What is the Role of Phytase in Soaking Grains? by Katie Kimball, 2010
Photos by Dr. A. Palatronis on www.z-antenna.com