I have reduced the usage of toilet paper dramatically after watching the video by Rob Greenfield (1), an activist and humanitarian dedicated to leading the way to a more sustainable and just world:
Motivation based on “save the world” does not work in fact for many of us, sadly, … and if so, what about your “civilized energy” – your money to be saved?
10 ways to wipe for free explained in the video above and blog author’s notes:
|10 ways to wipe||my notes|
|Grow your own||talking about plant Plectranthus barbatus as a substitute for toilet paper, one should go a bit dipper in its origin and uses (see more info below this table)|
|Leaves||traditional method while camping, etc:)|
|Dumpster dive at pharmacies||probably works in US only. For the best of my knowledge, in Europe, any damage package will be just sold with a discount – no loss for business, never!|
|Smooth stones||would work while camping|
|Pick up unused napkins||or rather grab your own after visiting food restaurants|
|Cloth wipes||depends on which cloth you may use. Cotton would work well, but not synthetic ones like polyester. In her post about switching to cloth wipes, Kathleen Quiring explains how to make and re-use cloth toilet paper (external link): Our Switch to Cloth Wipes (a.k.a. Cloth Toilet Paper)|
|Newspaper||most of nowadays newspapers are “soaked through” with chemical dyes, would not try this|
|Use a bidet||great great option|
|Use a bum gun||great great option too, much cheaper than a bidet but the using procedure is similar. Probably could be installed close to any toilet but the plumber’s service or do-it-yourself master is necessary!|
|Kettle by the toilet||great great option, no installation needed:)|
About Plectranthus barbatus
It does not mean that wiping a butt with these leaves would cure any disease or affect fertility directly, but one should appreciate the fact that natural materials are more complicated than you may think.
In medicine, the plant is used for intestinal disturbance and liver fatigue, respiratory disorders, heart diseases and certain central nervous system disorders, even tested for curing HIV/AIDS. The studies also show its abortifacient and contraceptive effects (3-6).
- Toilet Paper Shortage? – 10 Ways to Wipe Your Butt For Free! by Rob Greenfield on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnb6DzFAxz0
- Our Switch to Cloth Wipes (a.k.a. Cloth Toilet Paper) by Kathleen Quiring, available online on http://becomingpeculiar.com/our-switch-to-cloth-wipes-a-k-a-cloth-toilet-paper/
- Kapewangolo P, Meyer D. Plectranthus barbatus; antioxidant, and other inhibitory responses against HIV/AIDS. In: HIV/AIDS. Elsevier; 2018. p. 149-59
- Borges Fernandes LC, Campos Câmara C, Soto-Blanco B. Anticonvulsant activity of extracts of Plectranthus barbatus leaves in mice. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2012;2012
- Alasbahi RH, Melzig MF. Plectranthus barbatus: a review of phytochemistry, ethnobotanical uses and pharmacology–part 1. Planta Med. 2010;76(7):653
- Alasbahi RH, Melzig MF. Plectranthus barbatus: a review of phytochemistry, ethnobotanical uses and pharmacology–part 2. Planta Med. 2010;76(08):753-65
- Boldo – Plectranthus barbatus, photos and more, available online on https://www.ethno2.ethno-botanik.org/Heilpflanzen/Plectranthus-barbatus/Boldo-Plectranthus-barbatus-en.html