What would you offer for a vegan friend? a carrot??? Come on, don’t be naïve:):)
Vegans have already eaten those carrots at home, let’s make something special, well-looking for occasions and delicious for any taste and preferences!
Adzuki faba turrim – what is that?
Adzuki (or red mung bean) is a name of special beans type, faba turrim is a “bean tower” in latin!
Before you start (more info on a page 2)
8 h + 50 min
appetizer rings 5cm diameter x 6 cm high
For note#1: 8 h in passive time are needed for soaking the beans; 50 min – for cooking the beans later
For note#2: The yield is 8 pieces of appetizer from the amount of ingredients listed in the recipe below. However, you decide – whether to eat 4 of it (possible, they are delicious!) in pair or to give as one piece of appetizer for each of your 8 quests/family members.
Basic rule: before you start you may wash/clean and drain/dry vegetables, herbs, fruits and other ingredients when needed
|adzuki beans||180 g||1 cup / 0.4 lb|
|salt||1/2 tsp||1/2 tsp|
|red radish (optional)||4-5||4-5|
|olives, pitted (optional)||10||10|
|red sweet belly pepper||1||1|
|dried tomatoes in oil||150 g||0.33 lb|
|basil leaves, fresh||8||8|
How to make it:
- Soak the bean overnight or at least 8 hours
- Cook the beans on a medium-to-slow heat, in salty water, for 50-60 min, then rinse and let it cool down
- Cut avocado, bell pepper, chop coriander, grate radishes
- Mix avocado with cooled beans, and separately dried tomatoes with coriander
- Put a baking paper on a kitchen board and start to build a bean tower:
- Inside the appetizer ring put layer by layer: avocado-beans mix/tomatoes-coriander mix/chopped radish or bell pepper. After each layer is in, press a handle of a ring slowly but not too heavily and continue till a top
- The last top layer should be tomato mix with basil leave on a top
- Remove the ring slowly.
- Serve on a plate with pieces of red bell pepper. It is ready!
Important to know:
- Adzuki beans are special: they have nutty flavor and firm consistency. So when cooked they are still rocky, but that is what we need – firm consistency to build a tower and something different from well-known taste of regular beans! Remember, this recipe is for occasion or special evening with a family
- The board and a counter around will look a bit messy, don’t worry – it is creative time!
Give attention and do not rush – towers could deconstruct if not properly “sealed” between layers: avocado glues beans and dried tomatoes glues the layers too
- Remove excess of oil from dried tomatoes in oil with a napkin – the tower should not be wet through!
- Grated radishes add some additional moisture, I prefer red bell pepper version – do not produce moisture and looks vibrant! You may add pitted olives instead of tomatoes
My other recipes with lentils and beans: